Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Lake Bet

This Post is one that is a bit different.  It is a unique once in a lifetime kind of experience centered around something that happened to me a few years ago.  Now I have had to change the names in here to protect the innocent, but if your were involved that fateful day, you know who you are.

The afternoon started out innocuous enough.  One of my best mates was recently hired to manage a department at our little company and had begun having quarterly meetings for his management staff as team building exercises.  I was invited to attend one of these workshops after which, several of us went to the lake to sit out on the patio, have a few brews and unwind from the busy week.
 I thought it might be best to let this tale weave itself.  Below is a journal entry of mine from that day.
Entry 1 from that Morning: 
Got up this morning and lifted pretty heavy.  Feel like I have a hangover from yesterday, not sure why but I suspect the 20 mile run followed by more than my share of Guinness on the roof had something to do with it.  I am supposed to meet Joe and some other folks at Louie's on the lake after work.  
Entry 2 from that evening: 
Had a good meal, several of us decided to stick around and finish a few beers as the evening was getting on nicely and we were enjoying our beer on the patio just watching people run on the trail by the lake and telling jokes.  I noticed that Joe and John were going at it pretty hard, then the Ultra Running bet happened.  When I hear the bet, I immediately thought this is not going to end well!
The Bet: 
Joe would do 3 miles for every beer John would run 1 mile for every beer  
Winner gets the box set of their choice.
I made the mistake of mentioning that I thought this was a horrible idea and got entangled in the conversation.  Before I knew what happened, I had somehow agreed to pace Joe.  Bad idea!  By the end of the drinking Joe was up to 21 miles and John only had to run 6.  
Dohhhhhh!
Well, off we go, Joe's crazy ass was weaving all over the trail.  He fell down twice, then to my horror, Joe got excited and like a Doberman who smelled fear, he bolted toward his victim.  I looked up to see where he was going and here came a very, very large woman walking on the trail with her headphones on and obviously clueless about what was heading her way.  He yelled "mama" while making a smacking sucking sort of sound and puckering his lips, then made a motion like he was going to hug her.  I tore off after him, steered him away from her at the last minute and apologized for my friends action.  I told her he was not well in the head and, in an attempt to keep her from dialing 911 immediately, explained that my friend had special needs and I was helping him learn to exercise.  About mile 2, I realized this was going to be a lost cause when Joe fell down in the weeds and tried to go to sleep.  I got him up, he lost his I-POD and not move until we found it.  I looked in the weeds for several minutes and fortunately, finally found it.  What a relief, I talked him into starting back for the car.  About a mile later Joe fell again and started to weave badly as he ran when he got up.  John cruised past us finishing his 6 miles with ease as we wandered on for another 30 minutes or so.  We got back to the car and I put Joe in my truck.  I ran into Louie's and grabbed him a a sandwich and we headed on home.  What an evening.  I think I need a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment