Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Peru Day 1 (Houston)

I was landing at Houston's Hobby airport and grabbing a shuttle over to Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport.  This would be our Jumping off point for 16 Days in Peru that would take us through the back country on some little traveled trails and to places few people have ever seen.
The flight itself was long and uneventful.  The shuttle ride on the other hand was anything but.  I grabbed a super shuttle bus and we took off down the road.  The driver talking away about his quest for gold.  Apparently, panning for gold was a hobby of his and it had taken him all over the country and claimed he was able to pay for all his trips with just the gold he found and had plenty of gold leftover when he got back.  As I was pondering the discussion and wondering why if my shuttle driver was so good with the sluice box why he was still driving a shuttle, Bang!!  We were sideswiped by a car going down the highway.  The solid gold altima with spinner wheels, slammed into the right side of the van then accelerated away and down the exit ramp while waving the finger of friendliness at us as he sped away.
Welcome to Houston my driver remarked as he shrugged his shoulders and kept on down the highway.  The drive across town lasted a total of about an hour and a half with traffic and when I finally arrived at the hotel, I was relieved to be on solid ground.  I grabbed a key from the hotel desk and went to meet the Elk in the room.  I told Elk what had happened on my drive in and we had a good laugh as we woofed down the sonic, made a game plan for our super early 4:00 AM flight and tossed and turned with anticipation as I tried to go to sleep for a 1:30 AM rise.

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment