Monday, March 14, 2011

Peru Day 2 (El Salvador and Lima) - Part 2

Welcome to Lima
I will definitely be back to explore more of El Salvador.  Descriptions and pictures do not do justice to the beauty of the countryside and beaches they have there.  We cleared back through customs at the airport with a breeze and headed back into the terminal to go on to Lima.  While in the terminal I purchased 2 postcards one for my nephews and one for my girlfriend.  Surprisingly, there was not post office in the airport to mail them, so I gave the man a the tourism office the two postcards
and a $5.00 bill and asked him to mail them for me.  He promised they would arrive safely, but I have to admit I had my doubts.  I would find out later my doubts were founded as they never made it to their recipients.  I hope the $5.00 bill went to some good use.  
The wait in the tiny terminal was about an hour, but it went fast and before I knew it, we were on the plane to Lima.  As soon as you land in Lima, you immediately get the flavor of the city.  The airport is a reflection of the town, large, crazy and hordes of people moving here and there.  I decided it would be a good idea to rent a cell phone since it was $10.00 just in case we needed to make a call and walked outside to breath the, well, not so fresh air.  Lima is the Los Angeles of Peru right down to the smog.  Everything you read about or imagine a large Central American City being holds true in Lima.  The traffic ebbs and flows with it's own rhythm and pace and the place seems to have a pulse all it's own.  We took a "green taxi" from the airport to the Hotel Miraflores.  It was quaint, out of the main city and not too far from the beach.  The halls were decorated with local Peruvian art and the hotel was full of beautiful woodwork right down to the railings.  It had a huge fountain in a courtyard located in the center of the hotel that many of the rooms looked into and our room was no exception.

We checked in, got settled and 36 sleepless hours later decided to walk to a local restaurant for some food.  At dinner, I did most of the translating in my broken Spanish, which seemed to be getting us along fine and we managed to order an awesome meal off the menu.  Pollo al Plancha Y Agua Sin Gas.  By the time dinner was over we were really dragging and headed off to the hotel and sleep, after all we still had a flight to Cusco to catch in the morning.

To Be Continued ...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your "fashion" Blog! hehe ;)
XOXO ♥♥♥
-Keri

Post a Comment